Sunday, August 31, 2008

Gustav vs. The Love of My Life

I thought Katrina was bad. Gustav sounds like it could be extra scary for New Orleans.

Funny that my friend Erin was just blogging about relationships with cities and these lines are at the end of a CNN story about Gustav zeroing in on The City That Care Forgot (one that has frequently been referred to in relationship terms, throughout history and literature--Faulkner, when he was writing for the Times-Picayune and came to town at the suggestion of Sherwood Anderson, had written those New Orleans Sketches and referred to the city as a "kindly old whore"):

"Bette has the means to leave new Orleans. She and her husband could jump in their car and take off. During Katrina, she briefly relocated to Houston, and while happy she made that choice, she couldn't stay. She had to return to her city.

Like a relationship that suffers a bad break-up and is stronger after a reunion, she worries that she hasn't got the heart to leave and then return a second time.

"When you stand out there by that river and look at that levee," she said, "you are just so blessed to live here. I am in love, and so I make my choice."


I feel a spell of insomnia coming on.

No comments: