Saturday, September 6, 2008

Gustav skimmed NOLA, but left Baton Rouge gasping

The news hasn't said anything. I got more from this blog than any news source. For all I could hear on WWL, the Baton Rouge area is fine. But really, to hear my mom tell it: the place is an utter wreck and people are having a very hard time. Trees are down. Electricity probably won't be back for up to 3 weeks. A curfew is still in effect. It IS improving, of course. There are of course things to be grateful for. But I'd be grateful for some information, if I could find it.

I finally got in touch with my mom after a few days of hearing nothing. My parents are not doing well. Luckily, their neighbors are generous and have a generator and my mom's store is giving them food. Also to be grateful for: their cats survived. My mom was worried about them. They are safe, another small favor, but Pop is diabetic and finding food for him has been not all that easy. And Ike might be on his way.

Still lighting candles and doing my version of prayers. If anybody reads this and knows any news, can you pass it my way? I'd be grateful. Thanks!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Candy! Just to let you know, my folks got hit really hard by Gustav, and so did Baton Rouge in general. They had no power for 5 days, and the area from Baton Rouge to New Orleans was essentially cut off from the power grid. It was the worst damage to BR by a hurricane since Betsy in the 60s. The new gov of LA (Bobby Jindal) really did a great job of pulling all the resources together to help those folks.
Now Ike is coming along. Sheesh. Give those folks a break, Mother Nature.
Hope your folks are doing ok! (And you, too!)

candy sue said...

Thanks, Jen! I think my parents might still be without electricity. Are your folks doing ok now?

How about you--Ike is going Texas-way, it looks like. Are you out of harm's way?

Thanks for the post and update. :)

Gren said...

Entergy (LA Elec. Co.) said last week that folks in LA should all have their power back on by Sept. 17. I hope your parents got theirs back. Nothing like the lack of electricity to make you appreciate it so much more. My parents were out of power---and water---for 4 days, but all is happily restored now.

They have a well for the water and..."if the well, she have no electricity, the family, they no have water. Muy malo!"

(Sorry, I live in Texas now, Spanish is inescapable...)

Ike is on its way here...It'll probably hit us Saturday. But who knows with hurricanes. Do you ever miss the giddy uneasiness and anticipation that comes with hurricane season?